“If you are unsure of a course of action, do not attempt it. Your doubts and hesitations will infect your execution. Timidity is dangerous: Better to enter with boldness. Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity. Everyone admires the bold; no one honors the timid.”
~ Robert Greene, Author of Mastery ~
I remember when I STOPPED Giving a shit about the perfect workout along with perfect sets and reps. I stopped because I realized that perfection doesn’t exist. In addition, I realized that those perfectly dialed in workouts do NOT develop the type of attitude you need to achieve success in ANYTHING you do.
I’ve heard Dan John say that if all you do is the clean and press you can be awesome. I agree. When I get e mails asking me about the perfect workout to help them do XYZ, I KNOW they have gotten confused with the endless barrage of info out there.
Fuck it, lock yourself in the garage and do crazy shit every workout:
- 100 reps of bodyweight deadlifts
- 5 Mile Ruck March
- 500 Push Ups In A Day
- Squat Your Bodyweight For Max Reps in 10 Minutes
WHY Don’t I care about just muscle building and athletic performance?
Because the REAL key to success is the MIND. Training MUST bring the mind to a place that pushes you FAR outside your comfort zone and helps you become a Warrior.
When I see athletes training in air conditioned settings, using the perfect exercise selection and not training outdoors in the elements I KNOW they won’t be ready to truly represent when the shyt hits the fan in sports OR life.
Train yourself to be well prepared for life’s obstacles, NOT just the stuff in sports. This is when perfect sets and reps work against you. What we do at The Underground is a blend of science AND hell. Pushing the body, pushing the mind, creating a dominant human being as the end result – dominating in ALL that YOU do.
I am often asked how to achieve success, how to overcome obstacles and how to get motivated.
Let me tell you…… I battle the same battles you encounter as well. For me, those used to be a daily battle. But, I searched and searched, not just within myself but I searched from other “Masters”, “Mentors” & “Gurus”. I wanted to learn from people who learned how to conquer obstacles.
I learned aggressively from those smarter, stronger and better than me, then applied their teaching to my own life.
Every day, more and more I realize that I am here to help others avoid the pain I experienced in life, business, sports, etc.
Training with a perfect training regime won’t help me and it won’t help you.
I’d say the TWO BIGGEST Lessons learned this year and perhaps in my life have come from two men:
One HUGE lesson I learned from Dan Sullivan, creator of Strategic Coach, is to avoid the GAP.
This video is where I do a quick explanation of “Avoiding The Gap” along with a touch of 20X and how BIG of an influence Mark Divine has been to me.
Unfortunately, I lived in the GAP for a loooong time, it f**ked me up quite badly, scarred me intensely and here and again, I get stuck in the GAP, but I know how to avoid it and I know how to get out of it rather quickly nowadays.
I’d be a liar if I told you I never experienced the gap anymore. I’d be a liar if I told you I am always 110% motivated, fired up and firing on all cylinders. Perfection doesn’t exist, and once you accept that you can begin conquering obstacles.
I am in a way grateful for my painful past though, as it motivates me to learn more so I can pass on to others and help as many people as possible avoid my painful past.
But, as Bruce Lee said, “Knowing is not enough, we must apply, Willing is not enough, We must Do!”
Here are 6 Simple, Yet Powerful Lessons In Life & Lifting…
1) A 20 X mindset helps you achieve greater success and helps you conquer obstacles.
2) Avoiding the GAP keeps you happy, energized and constantly rejuvenated. Perfection doesn’t exist. Measure your progress against where you used to be, NOT the perfect ideal.
3) Training hard makes you a stronger person mentally, which is equally, if not more important than developing physical strength. You are better prepared for adversity and can face obstacles with confidence, knowing you will fight for the win and NEVER quit.
4) Your motivation comes from your personal “WHY!?” – Find it. There are many ways to do this, the key is, start DOing. Quatro Deuce, former Navy SEAL discusses this in detail HERE
5) I’m just like you. I have my good days and bad days. But I prefer to push for what my friend and mentor, Alwyn Cosgrove, decides on instead, always stating “I no longer have bad days, only good days and great days.” This leads me to Tip # 6…..
6) Succeeding in life and lifting is a choice. I CHOOSE to be an ass kicker in life and lifting. I don’t understand doing things less than 20 X. As a family man, I go 20X. When I train, 20X, as a business man, I create and go 20X.
Average sucks. The choice is yours.
Live The Code.
Advance & Conquer!
Category: Articles, Business, Kick Ass Business, Kick Ass Life, man up monday, Monday Motivation, Q & A, Success, Underground Strength Show, Videos Tags: 20x, arnold, avoiding the gap, dan sullivan, mark divine, mental toughness, navy seals, overcoming obstacles, perfect sets and reps, pit bull, quatro deuce, scientific strength and conditioning, sealfit, success mindset.