Here we go! STRONG Life Podcast ep. 181 is Powerful!
Brian Moss is The Founder of The Better Bodies Gym and Clothing brand which was started in 1982!
During the intro, I discuss how Brian and I connected in 2003 and I also share the story of how I ALMOST bought a gym instead of an engagement ring!!! ha ha
- Brian and I discuss the gym business of the 80s and 90s along with what he sees happening today in the gym industry.
- I also share the story of how I ALMOST bought an old school gym in Newark, NJ instead of a diamond engagement ring!!!
Some other topics we spoke about:
- Why Brian sold his gym in 1997
- What Brian sees today in the gyms and fitness industry compared to the 80s and 90s.
- How Brian built a community inside his gym that STILL exists today (they have annual Better Bodies Gym Meet Ups), even since selling the gym 20+ years ago!
View this post on Instagram
This week, 35 years ago, Better Bodies opened its doors. We knew very little about running a gym but sometimes ignorance can truly be bliss. We knew NYC needed a gym that gave women equal rights. We had no “training certificates” just our own experience. We signed a lease. We rented a box truck and drove to “Ferrigno’s Gym” in Brooklyn where Lou’s father made and sold equipment in the basement of his gym. We opened our doors with one combination leg extension/leg curl, one power rack, one squat rack, dumbbells, two bench presses, one lat pull down, a few random benches and a rack of welded barbells, a few olympic sets and no cardio equipment. We are all still friends with each other as well as dozens of our early Better Bodies members and trainers. We have Better Bodies “reunions”. I wonder how many people training in gyms today will get together in 2052 with their former gym owners and members to reminisce about how great it was to lift in 2017. Thank you Mike, Benny Jamie, Gladys, Jeff, Kirsten, Matt, Erik.
- How Brian got into photography by accident and how the photos taken from the Golden Era of Bodybuilding inspire Brian and I so much.
- How Brian got started with Universal / Animal Pak and created their series of photos that still inspire people to this day, almost 20 years later!
- Plus tons more.....
This episode is passionate and exciting. It will be refreshing to hear someone so passionate about what they're doing.
View this post on Instagram
See you in Texas? Before I became an accidental photographer in 1998, I was a NYC gym owner for 15 magical years. I founded Better Bodies gym in 1982 and sold it in 1997. I did not sell the “Better Bodies” name until 2006. The group I sold it to already had a proven history selling my licensed Better Bodies clothing in Europe starting way back in the 1980s. Over the last 12 years @officialbetterbodies has truly built a global fitness/lifetsyle brand. In 2013 they made the bold move of opening up an amazing gym in the Dallas area, known as “Destination”. Well,@destinationdallastexas has really become a destination and in more ways than I can count Destination reflects the spirit of my original Better Bodies. This Friday is a big celebration for Destination's five year anniversary, and I cant wait to attend. There will be a huge BBQ as well as music and entertainment. Everyone is welcome, just follow their link for details. See you/ya'll there! [Oh yeah, we are collaborating on a small Better Bodies clothing project, stay tuned]. Rick Valente, Gary Strydom, Marjo Selin, Bertil Fox, photo by @michaelhalsband
Dig in and listen!
Connect with Brian here:
Brought to you by:
Live The Code 365 till the next time!