If you haven't read Part I in this series, please do so First by clicking HERE.
A lil' Underground History for ya, hence, The MONSTER Sale We're Holding HERE:
- 23 years ago, in June of 1989 I began training
- 10 years ago, The Underground Strength movement originated as I began training athletes from my parent's garage and backyard
- 5 years ago, The Underground Strength Gym (Warehouse location) opened up in Edison, NJ
I was 13 1/2 years young. It was 1989 and summer was around the corner.
8th grade was just about over and I had been reading magazines such as muscle & fitness and muscular development that my older bro would always leave around the house. I had actually been reading those magazines since late 6th grade so I understood muscle groups, proper technique and basic set - rep patterns.
I weighed about 119 lbs at the time.
My first workout was pulled straight out of Arnold's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. My Gradfather bought it for my older bro in Israel, and at the time, the book was twice the cost in Israel compared to the states. It was 50 bucks or so back in 1987 or so!!!
I saw the workout called for squats. I was training in my brothers room where the weights were stored. We had chrome barbells with those spin lock collars. We also had some sand filled weights.
Without a squat rack, I did a clean and press with 65 lbs, cranked 10 squats and then tried to press the weight off my shoulders.
NO luck. I tried again.... the massive 65 lb barbell wouldn't budge. I backed up ever so carefully and sat on my brother's bed, then slowly laid back and let the barbell go on my brother's bed! ha ha
After that I dropped the weight down to 45 lbs to ensure I could get the weight off my back.
In between sets I would flip through the countless pages and be inspired by the black & white old school photos of Arnold & gang lifting heavy, straining their faces, looking like they were having a blast.
Fast forward to 2012, and here I am, getting e mails every day, asking me about the "secrets to building muscle". They want a "different program" as if the other Underground Strength & Muscle Building programs don't build muscle.
Everyone wants something else, something unique, something special just for them.
"They" see a youtube video, read 10 different blogs in the same day, jump from one program to the next and ask why they only weigh 140 lbs and can't gain muscle.
They ask how I did it and if I follow something else than what you see on my videos or in my online courses.
The BIG secret?
I've been busting my ass since 1989. I've gone through ups and downs, experienced injuries and have run the gamut of training regimes.
BUT, in the end, I also go back to the basics coupled with consistency and intensity. Contrary to popular belief, these gains never came easy OR quickly. It took me 23 years to deadlift 525 lbs. There are some who make these lifts in only a few years, I am NOT one of them.
The Secrets To Building Muscle?
1) Consistency - I've been training non stop since age 13, 23 years of consistent, HARD training. After I finished my undergrad and teaching internship I was mentally exhausted like never before. I took 3 or 4 weeks off from training and eating meals around the clock. Other than that, I take 3 - 7 days off here and again.
2) Consistency NOT just in training, but Also nutrition. The more you dial in your eating habits the faster your gains come.
3) Progressive Overload - Yes, You MUST Get Stronger. Only the juice heads get jacked with pump up weights, natural lifters have to EARN it. You can always walk proud when you do it the RIGHT way.
4) The basics will ALWAYS prove to deliver the best results. I KNOW Herschel Walker didn't squat or deadlift but that doesn't mean you should skip these exercises UNLESS your body is telling you to avoid these lifts for a short while.
I would have loved to deliver more than 4 "secrets" to building muscle but there ya have it.
I guess if I HAD to drop a 5th muscle building secret it would be straight up, "DO WORK, SON!"
Time to get a lift in..... in my garage! Just like when I started 🙂
Underground 4 Life!
Live The Code
PS: Take advantage of our HUGE Monster Sale, HERE - ALL products at least 50% Off
PPS: If you're close to NJ, step up and LIVE The Code. Support our Fundraiser, Lift STRONG - one way or another we're ALL connected to someone who has had cancer. Click HERE for Details